Time again for the CSUN (California State University, Northridge) Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference. Once again, I’m dusting off Curb Cut and will be posting a whole bunch of links to try and capture the knowledge, feeling of community and spirit of an incredible gathering people talking about lots of really important stuff.
- Accessibility Percolation
- CSUN 2013 Year in Review
- CSUN13: A thank-you note to thousands
- CSUN 2013 Wrap-up: What’s New from The 28th Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference
- CSUN13 Summary
- Inside CSUN 2013: Highlights of my Third Outing at the Technology Conference
- Technologists, Educators and Assistive Technology Users Reunite at CSUN
- The CSUN 2013 Web Track Mega Post
- Top Take-Aways from CSUN 2013
This is my favorite part of the great big list. Please encourage your presenters to share their slides online, send me a link or the actual presentation and I’ll make them available below.
- A Model for Accessible LMS Discussion Boards (Blog post, PowerPoint slides, and example) by Marc Thompson, Dan Hahn, and Hadi Rangin.
- A11yBuzz: A Crowd-Sourced Body of Knowledge by Karl Groves
- Access to Economic Opportunity (PDF) by Maureen Kraft and Holly Nielsen.
- Access to NSDL: A Portal for STEM Resources by Madeleine Rothberg
- Accessibility as Innovation by Karl Groves and Elle Waters
- Accessibility Challenges-Web Conferencing (PDF) by Marc Johlic, Susann Keohane, and Mary Jo Mueller.
- Accessibility on a Budget (Write up and audio) by Joe Steinkamp and Ricky Enger.
- Accessibility on Firefox for Android (HTML Slides) by Marco Zehe and Eitan Isaacson.
- Accessibility on the BBC Olympics Website by Henny Swan and Alistair Duggin
- Accessibility Through Responsive Design by Justin Stockton and Ben Wetzel.
- Accessibility is more than WCAG Compliance by Roger Hudson
- Accessibility Risk Management (PDF) by Ram (PG) Ramachandran.
- Accessible Cyberlearning in Practice (broadcast) by Derrick Cogburn and Jennifer Ellis
- Accessible Interface Problem Solving in iOS (PDF Files) by Shimone Samuel and Brian Criscuolo.
- Accessible Web Content & Intellectual Disabilities by Kathy Wahlbin.
- CVAA Compliance Using Adobe Tools (PDF Slides) by Matt May.
- Advanced Concepts in Accessible Video by Jim Tobias
- Agile & Accessibility Case Study by Karl Groves
- Amaze: Shut up and Start Fixing…A revolutionary approach to web accessibility by Preety Kumar
- ARIA Gone Wild! (Slideshare slides) by Jared Smith.
- AT&T’s Approach to Accessibility
- Baking Accessibility into the CMS by Kevin Miller
- Be the Fireman and Not the Cop (Slideshare slides) by John Foliot
- Blind Instructors Controlling Classroom Tech (PowerPoint Slides) by Ron Jailall, Greg Kraus and Sina Bahram
- Challenges for WCAG 2.0 Conformance by Makoto Ueki and Shintaro Kondo.
- Cities: Creating Accessible WordPress Themes (HTML Slides) by Joseph Karr O’Connor
- Choosing Automated Accessibility Testing Tool by Karl Groves
- Closing Gaps: Mobile Standards Enablement by Mary Jo Mueller, John S Lee, Brian Cragun, Janina Sajka, Rich Schwerdtfeger, T. V. Raman., Judy Brewer, and Bruce Bailey
- Cost Case Studies of Campus Web Accessibility (PDF) by Linda Goetze and Cyndi Rowland.
- Comparison of LMS Accessibility Revisited (Blog post, PowerPoint) by Marc Thompson, Dan Hahn, and Hadi Rangin.
- Creating Accessible Web Applications with ARIA and HTML5 and Responsive Design and Accessibility Workshop by Hans Hillen, Steve Faulkner and Gez Lemon
- Creating an Accessibility Community by Kathy Wahlbin, John F Croston, Robert Bosken, Jennison Asuncion, and Char James-Tanny.
- CVAA Compliance Using Adobe Tools (PDF Slides) by Andrew Kirkpatrick.
- Described Video Best Practices (DVBP) (PDF slides) by Robert Pearson
- Developing an Accessible Widget with ARIA (PowerPoint Slides) by Victor Tsaran and Dennis Lembree.
- Do Mobile Apps Measure Up to Standards? (PDF) by Brian Cragun and David Todd.
- Enterprise Web Accessibility: Unified Accessible Design & Accessible Code Frameworks (PDF) by Julie Romanowski, William Curtis-Davidson, and Tim Harshbarger
- Fixing Current Ineffective a11y Adoption Mode (Slideshare slides) by Jonathan Hassell and Jeff Kline.
- ePolicyWorks: Addressing Accessibility in a SharePoint Workspace (PowerPoint slides) by Michael Reardon, Katia Albanese, and Lee Crank.
- Google Apps Accessibility by TV Raman and Ajay Surie
- Hearing and Seeing the Customer Experience by Jenny Lay-Flurrie
- Helping Corporations Embed Accessibility in Their Culture
- HTML5 Accessibility Support (Slideshare slides) by Léonie Watson and Steve Faulkner
- I Never Knew a Website Could Hurt Someone by Karl Groves
- IDEAL’s EPUB3 Reader = STEM Education Success by Steve Jacobs
- IBM’s WCAG 2.0 Compliance Web-Costing Model (PDF) by Phill Jenkins and Dan Shire
- IEEE LOM is Not an Option-Lessons to Learn (Slideshare slides) by Miquel Centelles
- Implementing A11y Testing at the Enterprise by Mitchell Evan and John Foliot
- Improving Use of Accessible Voting Systems by Diane Cordry Golden
- Inclusive Mobile for Everyone-Challenges
- Integrating Accessibility in Corp. Culture (PowerPoint Slides) by Tony Olivero, Glenda Sims, and Denis Boudreau.
- Integrating Accessibility in Rapid Development (PDF) by Brian Cragun and Susann Keohane.
- Infographics-Making Images Speak by Ted Drake
- Keynote Presentation by Dr. Deana McDonagh
- Literacy Lab: Literacy Tool For All Beginners by Josh Witt, Kathryn Sequino, and Enid Hurtado.
- Making Mobile Both Accessible and Secure (PDF Slides) by Brian Cragun and Elizabeth Woodward.
- Managing Website Accessibility Conformance (HTML Slides) by Shadi Abou-Zahra.
- Mozilla Firefox OS – Mobile Open Web Platform (HTML Slides) by Marco Zehe and Eitan Isaacson.
- Non-Visual Drawing with the HIPP Application
- Novel Approaches to Icon-Based AAC (Multiple formats) by Karl Wiegand
- OpenAjax Accessibility Evaluation Library 2.0 by Jon Gunderson
- Open Web Platform: Mobile Accessible HTML5 by Judy Brewer and Jeanne Spellman
- Plain Language: Accessibility for Information (Slideshare slides) by Whitney Quesenbery.
- Plain Language: Ensuring Usable Web Content by Angela Hooker
- Preferences for Global Access Panel by Madeleine Rothberg, Jim Tobias, and Rich Schwerdtfeger
- Responsible Design: Accountable Accessibility by Bill Gregory
- Responsible Design: Accountable Accessibility (SlideShare slides) by Bill Gregory.
- Steps to WCAG 2.0 (SlideShare slides) by Aurélien Levy.
- Structured Negotiations: Strategy for Access (Slideshare slides) by Lainey Feingold and Linda Dardarian.
- Survey Says! National EAS Test Accessibility by Helena Mitchell
- TalkBack & Magnification Accessibility in Android 4.2+ (HTML Slides) by Paul Adam.
- The Forgotten of Web Accessibility by Roger Hudson
- Using WAI-ARIA to Make Typical Pages Fabulous by Bill Curtis-Davidson, Matthew King, and Mary Jo Mueller
- Using Technology and New Media for Employment (PowerPoint slides) by Derek Shields and Dinah Cohen
- WAI-ARIA/HTML5 Accessibility Testing Toolbar by Suzanne Taylor and Jim Thatcher
- WAVE 5 – Overview, Updates, and Future Plans
- WCAG Best Practices: What About the Users? (SlideShare) by Hlynur “Hinni” Hreinsson and Birkir Gunnarsson
- Web Accessibility: Annual Legal Update (SlideShare slides) by Linda Dardarian and Lainey Feingold.
- What’s New in ZoomText by Scott Moore
- Web-Based Multi-Language Media Captions (PDF) by Kaoru Shinkawa.
- Writing for Everyone by Char James-Tanny
Media (Audio, Video, and Images)
- @AccessTalk Podcast: Victor Stream, Surface Pro, Jaws 15 & more news from CSUN 2013
- Blind Bargains Audio Coverage of #CSUN13
- Blind Access Journal CSUN Audio Coverage
- Eyes on Success Podcast Highlights from CSUN 2013
- Flickr CSUN13 photo set
- SeroTalk CSUN 2013 Convention Special Audio Coverage Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and CSUN 2013 Year in Review.
- WebAble.tv Video Coverage
Events and Meetups (Formal and Otherwise)
- CSUN Tweetup Thursday, February 28th at 6:00PM at the Manchester Grand Hyatt.
- SS12: Code for a Cause Finals Saturday, March 2nd.
News and Resources
- Accessibility: An Integrated Workflow
- The 2013 Assistive Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference by Laura Legendary.
- AMI-tv Network that broadcasts all programs with open described video and closed captions.
- WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative) Resources
- Accessibility Information Pages Show Corporate Commitment to all Customers
Official Conference Stuff
If you prefer your formats alternative, the DAISY Consortium has generously made the conference program and other materials available in in ePub format and as a downloadable file.
There official Conference Twitter account is @CSUNCod.
Vendors, Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Official directory of exhibitors
- Sponsors of the 2012 International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference
- Vendor list in numeric order
Vendor News, Announcements and Press Releases
- Adobe & CSUN 2013
- AFB (American Federation for the Blind) Presentations at CSUN 2013
- Deque at the CSUN Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference 2013
- Get Compliant with Ephox EditLive’s Accessibility Checking Tools (video- no captions)
- HIMS Notetaker New Firmware (Version 8.0)
- IBM at CSUN 2013, February 27 – March 1
- Join SSB at CSUN!
- Optolec to Announce New Product launch
- Demo of the HABC (Hindenburg Audio Book Creator)
- User1st Video Demo (video- no captions)
Attending the Conference
Blind Bargains has created a Guide to Attending #CSUN13 on a Budget. SAS has created an accessible map to help blind participants navigate the conference. For all of your San Diego accessible travel needs @AccessSanDiego has you covered.
Follow @mactoph for updates to the list in the coming weeks and months.